Wednesday, October 7, 2009

How Are the Twins?

Well, now that the twins are 1 week and 1 day old I am finally getting to the post that everyone has been asking for.....How are the babies??

Both Fisher and Hunter are doing great with their breathing. They were on ventilators the first night only. They haven't been on oxygen since day one which is awesome. They have just been working on their eating. At this age they don't know how to suck, swallow and breathe all at once so they get all of their milk thru a feeding tube in their nose. They also receive TPN (total parental nutrition) thru an IV. Fisher is now off his IV because he is taking enough milk. Hunter is still on his IV (a pic-line in his leg) and will be still for several days. Fisher is doing great with his eating and tolerates whatever they give him. Hunter is having a little harder time digesting his milk so he is still working on increasing his milk intake. Hunter doesn't tolerate the formula very well so he gets breast milk only. I wish I could keep up with two babies but since I can't Fisher gets 1/2 breast milk and 1/2 formula and Hunter gets 100% breast milk.

Fisher is a little below his birth weight but Hunter is above his. I don't quite understand how the baby with the digestion issues is gaining weight..... Fisher is our little chicken leg. He is quite skinny. Hunter is our "stocky" little guy. I guess you could say our chubby baby but I don't know if you can call 4 lbs chubby.

Hunter is the baby that had the water on his kidney. We are waiting until he is about 2 months old to take him to Primary Children's to do additional testing. At this point he is on a preventative antibiotic that will hopefully help the issue to resolve itself by 2 months of age.

Yes, we can tell them apart. I don't think we will have a problem with that. It has been so fun getting to know them and spending time with them. We do not know when to expect them home but we do know that we want them to come when they are ready.

Justin has not seen them so that has been a little tough on him. There is not a window to look thru to see them so only me, Tyler, and the Grandmas and Grandpas have seen them in person.
We have taken a few videos of them to show Justin.

Please keep our babies in your prayers! And pray that me, Tyler and Justin stay healthy.




This is Hunter today. We just took his bili-light eye mask off so he is a little squinty eyed.



This is Fisher today. He was trying to pull out his feeding tube so I wrapped his arms up.

This is me with Fisher yesterday. You can see how little he is with his little skinny face poking out.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Wow, they are doing so good!!! These pictures brought back so many memories!!!! Of course we will keep you in our prayers!!! : )

kelliemcc said...

That is a lot of info to keep straight! Good job mom! They are just so cute, I hope you never tire of hearing that. Let us know if there is anything you need, we would be happy to help!

Brandan & Haylie said...

I must be getting like Mom because I get tears in my eyes every time I look at your blog...What two handsome boys you have! Can't wait to finally meet them. Make sure to tell them about their cousins and aunts/uncles who love them lots. Give them loves from us!

Hermana Macy Udy said...

We are so happy for your two sweet little blessings! We will definitely keep you in our prayers. I am glad they are here and doing well. We are here to help in anyway we can.

We sure love your family and congratulations! You did it! :)

The Bell Family said...

I'm so glad that they are doing well, they sure are cute little guys. They are in our prayers, please let me know if you need any help at all.

Gingerlylizzy said...

They are amazing! So gorgeous. I love all the photos... let me know if you ever want a photographer to tag along to the hosptial with you to capture some of those moments... I would be happy to!

You will all be in our prayers for lots of fattening and growing and soon coming home! Love you!