Tuesday, October 4, 2011

INDEPENDENT STEPS...with his walker

Hunter has taken his first INDEPENDENT STEPS....with his toy walker!! This is very exciting! Independent means without help from mom or dad.



On September 17th, I put Hunter down in front of his walker. He took 3 steps on his own and fell down. I was so excited that I went out on the deck and yelled to Tyler (he was working on the new shed in the backyard) that Hunter took 3 steps on his own. When I came back inside Hunter had gotten up and was walking even more. He had made his way from the center of the room to the side. I was completely over joyed. I yelled to Tyler that he took more steps. Tyler came in to see for himself. Hunter walked across the TV room with his toy walker 4 times!! He was so so happy. He just kept smiling as we cheered him on. He continues to get better each day.

I have worked with Hunter for a long time to get to this milestone. I began by holding his legs at his knee and lifting his leg up with my fingers. I did this so he could get the motion down of lifting his leg forward. Each day it got easier for him and there was less and less resistance. He started to go through the motion with very little resistance until he felt comfortable with it. Then he surprised me with the independent steps while holding on to his walker!! He did this 2 weeks shy of his 2nd birthday! Way to go Hunter!!



2 comments:

Racheal said...

YEah. It's so exciting. He is doing awesome. I love it.

Emily said...

That's awesome! He looks pretty proud of himself too. :)