Saturday, February 14, 2009

Grocery Shopping Lesson #1

Grocery Shopping Lesson #1 - Study the Ad

Ok, so I went to the grocery store this afternoon. I think that this week I learned to study the ad. I looked at the ad over and over until I felt like I had it memorized. I then went to work. I circled all of the items that we like to eat. I then put together a couple of meal ideas with items from the ad. I went through my coupons and wrote right on the ad (next to the ad price) what the coupon was. Then I made my shopping list. The first things on the list were the circled items that had matching coupons. The next thing on my list was the items I would need to complete my meal ideas. Then I looked back at the ad and decided what to buy for food storage. I budgeted $20 this trip for food storage. I got corn, green beans and corn muffin mix.

I think I did alright. My debit was $109.55 and my total savings was $47.85. That is a 30% savings. I was pretty excited when I was driving home and decided that with a little bit of work beforehand I was able to save almost $50... and buy food storage.

I then patted myself on the back when I realized that the $109.55 included diapers, toilet paper, paper towles, baby lotion, and eye drops which totalled about $35. I normally buy these items at Walmart but the Grocery Guru promised that in the long run it will be cheaper to buy the items at the grocery store if you buy them on sale. I don't know that I believe him on that one yet but I am going to give it a shot.

I didn't buy a single thing that wasn't on sale...even the eye drops were on sale!!

I was so excited about getting food storage that I reorganized my food storage shelves when I got home!! Now I am thinking that for my birthday next month I want to get some more shelves!!

2 comments:

The Quarnbergs said...

I have been trying a little here and there too! Do you know the guru's email? I would like to ask him a couple questions about the best way to approach food storage and cupon clipping when we are so limited down here! Good luck!

Lindsey said...

This is motivating me to definitely give this thing a shot - saving money is the best!