Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My new hobby, I hope!

Ok, so I have a new hobby...well, its going to be my hobby. I am not any good at it yet but I am going to try it. Last week we had the Grocery Guru come to our Relief Society Enrichment Night. It was so much fun. Yesterday I went shopping with the Grocery Guru himself at my very own Smith's Grocery Store. My debit came to $38.74 and my savings were $45.73!! Yeah, I saved more than I spent. It was a 54% savings! Yahoo!!

This is what I bought...

  • 8 boxes of General Mills Cereal
  • 2 Betty Crocker Brownie Mixes
  • 2 Betty Crocker Muffin Mixes
  • 1 5 lb bag of potatoes
  • 1 head of lettuce
  • 2 jars of Ragu sauce
  • 2 packages spagetti noodles
  • 9 cans Chef Boyardee Pastas (Justin's Favorite)
  • 2 packages Betty Crocker Fruit Gushers
  • 1 Kroger Salad Dressing
  • 4 boxes Tostino's Pizza Rolls
  • 1 gallon milk 1%
  • 1 box Fat Boy Ice Cream Bars (regularly $3.49, Coupon for $3 off, final price was $0.49/box) Did I mention that I LOVE ice cream?
  • 2 bags of Hersey's Valentines Chocolate candies

Yes, all of that for $38.74!! I was so excited. AND everything I purchased we actually do eat at our house. This is how it worked.... We met the Grocery Guru at Smith's. He had the shopping list and the coupons(cut out and paper clipped) for us. In 20 minutes I had all the groceries in my basket, was through the checkout, and was on my way out of the grocery store. I also had Justin with me so I consider this a super effecient trip to the grocery store.

Now, I have always been a coupon girl. In fact, Tyler will sometimes tease me and say that just becuase I have a "good coupon" doesn't mean that I need to buy it. I must admit that I do fall into the "coupon trap" every once in a while. For example, a couple weeks ago I had a coupon for Kix cereal for $0.55 off. The cereal was on sale so I bought it even though we don't like Kix Cereal. BUT I had a "good coupon"...So that is was Tyler teases me about.

Anyway, I am going to learn to make the coupons work for me. The Guru claims that if you shop the ads you will save 40% on your grocery bill and if you shop the ads & use coupons then you can save 70%. Sign me up! I will have to keep you up to date on my coupon/ad shopping.

I plan on sharing everything I learn along the way; but be patient with the learning curve!

Wish me LUCK!


P.S. for anyone out there that uses Enfimil Gentlease, I have a coupon for Buy one get one FREE (Smith's coupon) Please tell me there is someone that can use it...save me from having to through away this "good coupon" or heavens-for-bid I might have to use it. Tyler would really get a good laugh then cause we dont even have a formula drinker. :)


3 comments:

marci said...

Hey, I think I missed the fat boys ice cream bars.... no fair!!!!

I thought that activity was so much fun and it is going to be my hobby, too!!!

Emily said...

How great is that! I LOVE a good deal. You'll have to share your shopping tips.

kelliemcc said...

I want a lesson from you once you've got it down. You will be great at it and share your success with me. I tagged you on my blog, no need to thank me! And will you give Haylie my email so she will invite me to her blog, thanks a bunch. Unless she thinks I am a stalker, which she might be right!